Click on the title to learn more...
Launch your child’s summer with our 2017 program!
Since 1990, Camp Invention has taken summer fun and transformed it from ordinary to extraordinary! Grand Ledge Public Schools is thrilled to, once again, be partnering with the National Inventors Hall of Fame to provide this unique, out-of-school-time elementary enrichment experience with a science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) focus for children in our community.
This is an exciting, week-long summer adventure with activities that explore connections between science, technology, engineering and innovation and sharpen 21st century skills. A program of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, Camp Invention allows children in Kindergarten through 6th grade to experience real-world problem solving, creative thinking, invention and teamwork.
This year, our own Renee Sommerlot will lead a week of hands-on activities that fuel children's confiddnce in their natural ability to dream and create. Early registration discounts are available.
The Camp Invention curriculum is new each and every year to ensure participants have a dynamic and memorable summer experience!
Click the below to learn more about each of the modules in this year's program.
Duct Tape Billionare™
In Duct Tape Billionare™, children will experience invention with a twist. Children can choose to explore their imaginations and invent from scratch, or they can select a basic design to make their own. They explore patents, hear how to launch a business, and present their products to mock investors.
In Duct Tape Billionare™ children will:
- Engage in creative thinking to design and build their own duct tape creations.
- Explore invention from a real-world point of view.
- Practice the same skills entrepreneurs use to launch a new product.
Mission Space Makers™
This mission takes your child out of this world to locate and prepare a new planet for human habitation. Mission Control sends teams challenges to design inventions that transform the atmosphere, terrain, and ecosystem of an exoplanet. They set up Space Lab to hatch eggs and grow crystal trees, take on the jobs of tomorrow and explore beyond our galaxy.
In Mission Space Makers™ children will:
- Experience the power of rocket science by building and launching rubber band rockets.
- Explore National Inventors Hall of Fame Inductees and NASA engineers who have developed telescopes, micro cameras for Mars rovers and instruments that investigate planets outside of our solar system.
- Work together to grow real plants as well as their interest in science and space.
Have A Blast™
Your child will will fling, fly and float through high-energy air battles while using physics to boost their advantage. Children engineer a variety of working tools, including "snowball" throwers, a giant air cannon and more. Everyone builds their own high-tech Bubble Blaster with flashing lights to take home. This summer, Have A Blast™ that will last a lifetime.
In Have A Blast™ children will:
- Apply principles of engineering to create a castle from cardboard and design a pulley system to raise a castle flag.
- Build an air cannon that demonstrates how air moves in response to force.
- Explore aerodynamics to blast water rockets made from plastic bottles more than 50 feet in the air.
Operation Keep Out™
A young inventor's dream dome true, children create the ultimate Spy Gadget Alarm Box to keep reasures secure! They must decode a note written in invisible ink and find a missing tool, use spy glasses to catch a toy thief, and discover that both spies and engineers write in secret codes!
In Operation Keep Out™ children will:
- Take apart non-working machines and devices to investigate their inner operations.
- Explore how the mechanical and electrical machine parts might be used in a Spy Gadget Alarm Box.
- Express ideas for their Spy Gadget Alarm Box through writing and sketching.